By Janice Boddy,Michael Lambek
- Presents a suite of unique, ethnographically-informed essays exploring the wide range of ideals, practices, and spiritual studies within the modern world
- Explores a large variety of subject matters together with the ‘perspectivism’ debate, the increase of non secular nationalism, reflections on faith and new media, faith and politics, and concepts of self and gender with regards to non secular belief
- Includes examples drawn from various non secular traditions and from a number of areas of the world
- Features newly-commissioned articles reflecting the main up to date learn and significant pondering within the box, written via a global crew of prime scholars
- Adds immeasurably to our realizing of the advanced relationships among faith, tradition, society, and the person in today’s world
Read or Download A Companion to the Anthropology of Religion (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Best religious studies books
Like many american citizens, the japanese Orthodox converts during this examine areparticipants in what students this day confer with because the “spiritual marketplace”or quest tradition of increasing spiritual variety and person choice-making that marks the post-World warfare II American non secular panorama. during this hugely readable ethnographic examine, Slagle explores the methods inwhich converts, clerics, and lifetime church contributors use marketplacemetaphors in describing and enacting their spiritual lives.
This e-book places spirit again on the center of spirituality. by way of exploring the standard affects of other non secular ideals and practices, the booklet examines contemporary spirituality and the way severe social technology can map and comprehend it.
A suite of essays through fogeys within the box addressing the various matters dealing with Catholic college leaders delivering perception and attainable strategies to those difficult matters. Our titles aid all catholic educators and directors have the pro assets to fulfill the top criteria of excellence in Catholic schooling.
A viciously cogent assault upon all of humanity’s so much obdurate, irrational and sacred ideals. Victor Godot tracks God again to his little “hidey hole,” takes names and beats the holy crap out of him, mano y mano. end result? Godot 1 - God zero, through decisive knockout.
- From Adam to Noah-The Numbers Game: Why the Genealogy Puzzles of Genesis 5 and 11 Are in the Bible
- Contesting Orthodoxy in Medieval and Early Modern Europe: Heresy, Magic and Witchcraft (Palgrave Historical Studies in Witchcraft and Magic)
- Religion Without Redemption: Social Contradictions and Awakened Dreams in Latin America (Decolonial Studies, Postcolonial Horizons)
- Satanic Feminism: Lucifer as the Liberator of Woman in Nineteenth-Century Culture (Oxford Studies in Western Esotericism)
- What Kind of Friendship?: Christian Responses to Tariq Ramadan’s Call for Reform within Islam
Additional resources for A Companion to the Anthropology of Religion (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)